The Foundation of the Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham - A Birmingham Gem!

The Foundation of the Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham dates back to the founding of King Edward's School in 1552. Today it includes 12 schools.


The Schools of King Edward VI in Birmingham was originally established in 1552. The original school was King Edward's School, which was on New Street, until they moved to Edgbaston in 1936. Next door is King Edward VI High School for Girls. In 1883 five more Grammar Schools were established, including King Edward VI Aston School, King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys, King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls (both now in Kings Heath), King Edward VI Five Ways School (now in Bartley Green), King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys and King Edward VI Handsworth School (for Girls). More recently three academies have joined the foundation. This includes King Edward VI Balaam Wood Academy, King Edward VI Handsworth Wood Girls' Academy and King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy.

 

King Edward's School, Birmingham

Founded in 1552, they were based on New Street in Birmingham until they moved to a new site in Edgbaston in 1936. Their New Street premises was rebuilt several times over the centuries. Including a design by Charles Barry during the 1830s. After the move in 1936, the old school was demolished to be replaced by King Edward's House on New Street. The school at Edgbaston took until 1948 to complete (interrupted by WW2). The Chapel from Barry's school was rebuilt brick by brick at the Edgbaston location (1938-40) by Holland W. Hobbiss, and renovated and rebuilt during the 1950s. Near Edgbaston Park Road and Bristol Road, the land was part of the Calthorpe Estates and opposite the University of Birmingham

King Edward's SchoolKing Edward's School (January 2018). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI High School for Girls

The girls school was founded in 1883 and was originally in part of the 1830s school designed by Charles Barry on New Street. In 1888 they moved to what was the Liberal Club on Congreve Street (part of which was the lending section of Birmingham Central Library). The land on New Street which was formerly the Hen & Chickens Hotel was where the new girls school was built to a design of J. A. Chatwin, which opened in 1896. The girls school later moved to a site in Edgbaston next to the boys school during 1940, to buildings designed by Holland W. Holliss. The old site of the girls school is now where the Odeon Cinema on New Street is.

King Edward VI High School for GirlsKing Edward' VI High School for Girls (February 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Aston School

The school in Aston was founded in 1883 and is located on Frederick Road in Aston. The school building was designed by J. A. Chatwin. It is the only one to be founded in 1883 to be located in the same building. The girls school moved out to Handsworth in 1911. So Aston is just a boys school now. It's Gothic brick facade faces Albert Road. Nearby entrances to Aston Park from Upper Thomas Street and Frederick Street.

King Edward VI Aston SchoolKing Edward VI Aston School (May 2021). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys

Founded in 1883, the school operated for two terms at New Street, before it opened at a site at Camp Hill in Birmingham during September 1883. The building was designed by Martin & Chamberlain, and is now at Camp Hill Circus between Bordesley Middleway and the Stratford Road (near Sparkbrook). The school moved to a site in Kings Heath during 1956, next to Kings Heath Park at Vicarage Road. The old building is still standing and is now the Bordesley Centre.

Bordesley Centre

The Bordesley Centre from Bordesley Middleway at Camp Hill Circus (March 2012). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls

The girls school was founded in 1883. It shared a campus with King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys at Camp Hill, and moved to Kings Heath in 1958, on the Vicarage Road. The buildings at the Kings Heath campus are shared.

King Edward VI Camp Hill Schools at Kings HeathKing Edward VI Camp Hill Schools from Cartland Road, Kings Heath (April 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Five Ways School

This school was originally established in 1883 at Five Ways in Birmingham. It is a mixed school for boys and girls aged 11 to 18. The original school was designed by J. A. Chatwin and opened in January 1883 (at what is now the centre of Five Ways Island). After WW2 the school was a bit overcrowded, and a new site in Bartley Green was found near Bartley Reservoir. They moved during April 1958, to the current site at Scotland Lane in Bartley Green. It was built on the site of Bartley Farm. In January 1983, on the 100th anniversary of the opening of the school, a plaque was unveiled at Five Ways Island by the then Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Councillor Peter Hollingworth.

King Edward VI Five Ways SchoolKing Edward VI Five Ways School at Scotland Lane, Bartley Green (March 2021). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys

Handsworth Grammar School was founded in 1862 and joined the Foundation of King Edward VI in September 2017, and was then renamed to King Edward VI Handsworth School for Boys. It is located on Grove Lane in Handsworth. It is now part of the King Edward VI Academy Trust.

King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for BoysKing Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys (September 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

King Edward VI Handsworth School (for Girls)

The girls school was founded in 1883 as King Edwards Aston, at the site where it's brother school, King Edward VI Aston School remains to this day. There was three separate girls schools which merged in 1911. The new school at Handsworth was designed by P. B. Chatwin. On it's centenary a new block was built in 1983. In 1997 a new Sixth Form block was built. The school is located on Rose Hill Road in Handsworth, and is behind the Villa Road Methodist Church.

King Edward VI Handsworth SchoolKing Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School near Villa Road Methodist Church (September 2019). Photography by Elliott Brown

Project dates

10 Mar 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Education, Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com